The Southwest Colorado Humanities Roundtable has coordinated a month of history, anthropological, and archaeological events in La Plata County this September.
Presented by the Fort Lewis College Life-Long Learning
Contact: Gary Rottman at email@example.com.
PROOF OF VACCINATION REQUIRED
The Old Fort Lewis was originally established as an Army Post in 1880. In 1891 the Fort was decommissioned and converted to a federal, off-reservation Indian boarding school. Later in 1911 an agricultural and mechanic arts high school was established there under the jurisdiction of the Colorado A&M (present CSU), eventually becoming a full four-year college. In 1956 the college moved to its present location atop Reservoir Hill overlooking Durango.
This free Program includes a tour of the facilities at 3:00, and lectures at 4:00 by Beth LaShell, Director of the Old Fort, on its history and at 6:00 by Majel Boxer, Associate Professor at FLC, on the Indian School at the Old Fort. Between presentation from 5:00 to 6:00 attendees are invited to enjoy their B.Y.O. picnic on the grounds.